Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I really need to amend the previous post with an acknowledgment of the sexist nature of the Miss/Mrs. labels. I am fully aware that labeling a woman according to whether or not she's married is totally backwards. I've heard that, at one time, prefixes used for men made this distinction as well, but I don't know whether or not that's true. What I do know is that labeling a woman by her status in relation to a man is sexist and demeaning. However, it's a symptom of the patriarchy that I embrace on a personal level. I agree that it's wrong, but I enjoy being referred to as "Miss" because I enjoy being an unmarried woman. I want everyone to know that I'm not married, because I'm proud of it, so I use the term. It's one of those societal pressures, like wearing high heels and makeup, that I happily conform to and partake in. I think it's okay to recognize that a situation isn't ideal but still see the fun in it and embrace it, while acknowleding what's wrong with it. That's why, as I said below, women can make their own choices regarding their last names, although I may find their choices bothersome.

No comments:

Post a Comment